Friday, October 28, 2005

I’m a What?...

A professor, yes that is right. The Russian Federation has entrusted the education of their students to me… What the hell were they thinking? I cannot believe that this is what I’m actually doing. It isn’t so much that I’m teaching, but it is who I’m teaching. These poor Russian students; they’re in for it this time. In all honesty, I cannot believe that having a class of students, who are interested in what they are learning and interested in their teacher, can be so uplifting to someone. I had my first class, today. It was the first time that I meet with a group of students, who were my very own. These were the fourth year students in the Regional Studies Department –the students I’ll be working with for my entire stay here. Already, only after one class, I know this is going to be a wild, fun, and educational class. Most of the students, minus those who just showed up to see the American, are already well versed in English, but they are so devoted to their studies that they are excited about our interaction with each other. This is an awesome feeling! Having a class of students, who are not being forced into taking the class, and instantly knowing that it is going to be a fantastic group is so refreshing. Up until today, most of my lectures have been given to students who really don’t care, minus that one Law class, so having a group of students that care is excellent. Not only do they want to learn from me, but I’ve already been asked to hang out with some students. One male student, the only male student –poor, poor boy, I know what he feels like (remember my trip to England?) –has already invited me out with him and his friends. On Tuesday, his band is going to perform at a night club, and he wants me to go an watch. This is great for me because, besides Alec, I haven’t had any contact with males…I miss that. I miss hanging with the guys and just bull-shiting, so this is going to be great! My Russian Rock Friends! After only one hour, these students like me enough to invite me to hang-out –they don’t know me well at all, I’m a boar.

So the class’s subject is “Business English,” which to be honest I have no clue about, but I’m resourceful and I’ll learn. Its not like don’t have any idea about the subject, but its not my specialty. However, the students are interested in all aspects of English and America, so I think I’ll be fine. This class also consists of the three girls, Dacha, Kristina, and Julia, who were the three that took me sightseeing my first Sunday in Rostov. I’ve already told them that they are going to be my “pets” and help me out a lot. I want this class to be very fun and different than their normal classes, so I’m going to try many different styles of teaching (Yes Katherine, PBL is one of them!). I’ve asked the three girls to let me know what others think about the styles of teaching and the class in general, they are my own personal spies. Hopefully with their help and my wanting to try different styles of teaching, the class will be fun and educational for them and for me. I’m just so excited to finally begin this; its like I’m attending a Garbage concert or something, because I feel a real high when I think about the class. Probably the scariest thing for me right now is that I’ve only got six months with them –I already want more time...

P.S. Can you believe I’ve already been here a month! That went fast!

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great--unlike students at some places or half of my lc class, these students actually want to learn. most americans want to stay ignorant.

thundercats still lead in trivia.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want some "Russian Rock Friends!" I am now even more envious of you, James. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home