Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Gift of Sight...

...is always an important thing but when you're in a foreign land, and feel uncomfortable anyway, it is a vital thing. Yesterday, while I was running back and forth between several buildings doing the normal "teacher" thing, a lens in my eyeglasses fell out. I don't know when or where it happened but it did. Now I know what you are all going to say (especially Katherine), but I forgot to get another pair of glasses to bring with me. That is not important anyway... I messed up and I learned from that experience. So back to my story. It wasn't until I was sitting at the computer and reached up to adjust my glasses that I noticed the lens was missing. It kind of was more when I poked myself in my eye that I thought, "wait a minute, I used to have something to stop me from doing that." Right away, I begin to panic (why shouldn't I? I'd like to see how many of you would react!), but that subsided soon and I was looking for the lens. I walked everywhere looking for it, but I knew that if it wasn't in my room or the department it was gone forever. However, I looked and looked anyway but could not find it. This is when I sort of blew the whole thing off and figured that I could last six months being blind. I wasn't really going to bother about it too much, except to ask my mom what she could do for me. Yet if it would cost too much to replace them and send them to Russia, I figured I'd just live without them. Luckily though, I don't have to worry about that. My friend, Alina, who texts me all the time, happened to ask me how my day was going, so I told her. Within a minute of me telling her, she told me not to worry that we would take care of it. To my surprise, it wasn't hard to replace the lens, especially since it didn't have a prescritption to it anyway. To make a long story short, I lost my lens, freaked out, calmed down, and got the situation taken care of. Oh and it didn't cost me a thing...all part of Russian hospitality!

So how has the rest of my week been so far? Its been alright. Sunday, I slept most all day, which was nice. Monday, I had to do some research and work for my class but later in the day, I was invited to go bowling with Alina and her sister. It was rather fun, and gave me chance to calm down a little. Plus, I won! Damn right, America's gonna win that one! Well that's not really the case, because it isn't real bowling. I mean you roll a ball down a lane and hit pins, but the ball fits in your hand. It is so much easier then putting three fingers into a ball that is the size of your head and feeling like your going to tip over if you stand wrong. Yet, the point is I won and was damn proud of it; it just means that Americans are better at bowling then the Russians -not really, because I'm sure if I had a rematch I'd loose! Then today, I had my fifth year class again and it went a lot better then it did last week. Everyone was a lot more open and talkative this time, and they seemed interested in what I was talking about. They also gave me plenty of ideas of things we could discuss for the rest of the week. I think that it will work out in the end with this class...Perhaps it was just nervous the first week. Tomorrow is my fourth year students and I'm looking forward to it, because that class consists of my friends. It should be rather fun, no matter what we discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home