Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret...

Not really, but I couldn't think of a better title for this post then that. And yes, I did still that from the Madonna documentary, so sew me... Anyway, I'm really not sure why I decided to post anything today, because nothing new has really happened. All I've been doing for the last week is holding class, preparing for classes, and hanging out with different people -nothing so grand. I haven't been board by any means, just not much to report. Let me think...What to say? Well I've been asked to teach another class, which is good because it will keep me busy even more. I'm helping a group of students prepare for the TOEFL, which is a test foreign students must pass in order to attend Universities in the States. This has taken up a lot of my time trying to figure out how exactly the new test, which is done over the internet, works, and what sorts of information the students will need. I'm happy to be doing this though, and think that it will be good for the students to have access to a native speaker before taking the test. My other classes are going well, and the fifth year classes is getting better and better. My only real complaint about many of my students are that they are intimidated by me. Many are afraid to speak with me or approach me outside of class, which makes it awkward. I'm not so scary, am I? I think they just are worried that they are going to bother me, but that is not the case. It may be some, okay well it is somewhat my fault too. You see, when I'm walking on the streets or in shops I'm not paying attention to what is going on around me or who is around me. Since I feel that I really don't know a lot of people here, it has become a habit for me to zone out a lot more than I do at home -which for many of you, you know that I tend to zone out on a constant basis. Anyway, the fact that I'm never really paying attention, I tend not to see someone I know until it is too late...This is something I need to get better with.

What else? Let's see. Well I have written about twenty, what I would consider, strong poems. I'm really being experimental with my writing, and I'm liking what I'm producing. Don't know what other's will think, but right now it suits me. However, I really don't have a lot of time to write and when I do have time, I'm often too tired to write. Oh well, that's the life of living in Russia. An interesting note though: Everywhere I'm going anymore, I find at least one person who speaks English. Its all around me and I just didn't know it. Whenever I'm walking down the street and speaking with someone, I usually run into one or two people who ask if we're speaking English. Okay, well this might be interesting too. The other night, I was walking with my FRIEND Alina (I capitalized "friend" just to emphasizes that because I don't know what you all are talking about, but I'm not getting married here!) and we were speaking when all the sudden some drunk guy started to speak with us. His English was pretty good, except for the slurring part. Yet, I was shocked that he just started to speak with me. Its funny because this is happening more and more lately, well not all of them are drunk, but when someone hears me speaking they start to speak English too. I think its cool because at least they will try to speak with me in my native language, so they can find things out. On the other hand, lately people have been asking if I'm Italian. I know that I don't look Russian, but Italian! What the @#%$? I don't think I look Italian at all, but I've had several people ask me if I am. Like the other day, when I was shopping for a sweater, one of the sales associates asked Alina, she was helping me shop, if I was Italian. Even Kristin has said I look Italian. Not that their is anything wrong with looking Italian, I like Italians, but can't I look just like an American. I like the fact I'm American, even though sometimes you wouldn't think it, but I am. Shouldn't people look at me and think, "hey, that guys American." I think you can pick an American out from different nationalities. We just hold ourselves different, plus we dress a little different too -especially in the shoe area. Whatever, I guess I'll just deal with looking like an Italian. I pose a question for all of you. Do you think I look Italian? Post in the comment box and tell me 'yes' or 'no' and then what you would classify me as... Note to my friends: I'm not Mexican, you know that, so don't post that! I'm just curious what others would say, if you think Mexican go ahead and say that too, unless you are in my close group of friends (Joey, Rhiannon, Adam, ect.). This will also help me in determining if anyone is reading this damn thing, because if not I'm gonna stop writing it. It does take some time, and I often don't think anyone is reading it. Oh well, I really don't want to be one of those people who are blogging and no one is reading, but I will be until I hear if you guys want me to continue this or not. This isn't for me, I have a personal journal, so if you're not reading it, I'll stop... On that note, I'll end for today. If anything exciting happens, and I can tell some people are reading this, I'll write about it.

3 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Perhaps you look like a European Italian- not the American type Italian stereo type. Go with the Italian thing- it's a language of love. :-)

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

italian--maybe. i've always thought you were more like a hasidic icelander whose parents were kwaikutl and basque. but that's just me.

thunder
thunder
thunder
thundercats HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

keep having fun. when are you going on the gulag fun and games tour? i've been reading so don't stop writing. do start editing.

in russia, blogs write you.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, James, I think you look Italian and thus should change your name to Vincenzo or Carlo or Malvolio (what play is he from anwyay?) right away...just kidding. In all seriousness though, I am convinced that you are part gecko.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home